Answering Your Questions Regarding Our Mold Services


What are the primary concerns of mold infestation?

Mold exists in all structures, virtually everywhere, floating in the air and on all surfaces. Many building materials, such as wood, sheet rock, etc., provide the “food” that can support mold growth. Even dust that has settled on these materials or furniture can be a food source for molds. Mold needs to eat to survive, and it’s perfectly happy eating your home if you allow it. But health risks arise when the levels are too high, and most people don’t even consider the possibility of an infected home or workplace; most doctors don’t even delve into the chance that their patient’s condition is due to indoor air quality issues, even though the media has identified and covered several instances of mold making people sick. According to the EPA, all indoor mold growth should be removed promptly, no matter what type(s) of mold are present, or whether or not it can produce toxic mold. It’s not a myth, prolonged exposure to mold increases health risks.

How does mold originate, and where does it reside?

Mold only needs a few things to grow and multiply; nutrients (food), a suitable place to grow, and moisture. Molds can grow almost anywhere there is enough moisture or high humidity. The moisture can come from our bodies (sweat, wet hair on pillows, breath), steam, moist air from outdoors, tiny plumbing leak, clothes that aren’t fully dried, and a host of other reasons. Mold often appears as a staining or fuzzy growth on furniture, walls, ceilings, or anything made of wood or paper. It can smell like an earthy or musty odor, though oftentimes it’s undetectable. Mold colors range from white, gray, brown, black, yellow, or green.

What promotes mold exposure?

Exposure increases when indoor moldy materials become dried, damaged, or disturbed, causing spores and other mold cells to be released into the air and consequently inhaled. Elevated exposure to mold may also occur if a person directly handles moldy materials or accidentally ingests nonedible molds.

Do you perform mold tests?

We can take samples to test for mold and send them to our lab for testing, although not all molds are detectable. Most of our clients detect mold with their nose or eyes. If you see mold in one area of your dwelling, be assured it is everywhere in that building, and when it’s blatantly visible, there usually isn’t a need for the added expense of testing.

Can’t I just use bleach to eradicate mold?

Bleach does not kill mold, it only removes the color. When you treat mold in your bathroom, you effectively eliminate the appearance; but it comes back to the same place, doesn’t it? Not only does it not work, but when the mold comes back, its roots become even more resilient, not to mention that bleach is an incredibly caustic chemical.

Will paint and/or primer kill mold?

The simple answer is “No.” It can seal the problem for a short while, but it will return. After our treatment plan is complete, that is a good time to prime, and we recommend the use of an oil-based primer. Water-based primers are OK as well, but not as effective.

Newer homes and buildings are immune to the mold problem, right?

Unfortunately, this is not true. Building materials, lumber, and trusses sitting outside in the rain too long can all become infested, and the mold can show up several months after the structure is complete. Some molds will lay dormant until moisture reactivates them.

How are condos and apartment complexes affected?

There are a large amount of Condos and Apartment complexes in the Atlanta area that have had one or more units that suffered some kind of water damage and consequently, mold infestation. Because of the close proximity, mold can spread from unit to unit.

How can mold affect one’s health?

This answer is not meant to scare you, but it is real. Mold can grow in the lungs and on the spine. It can cause paralysis and eye fungus, and the toxic effects of fungal exposure and deadly mycotoxins can compromise the immune system. Reoccurring bronchitis is commonly caused by tainted indoor environments. Too many times, testing and eradication are performed after the damage is done. This is why we promote the eradication of even the possibility of mold, especially in surroundings that you spend most of your time in. In rare cases, mold can even produce arsenic gas and cause permanent brain damage. People that suffer from allergies, breathing impairments, nasal and sinus congestion, nose and throat irritation, and migraine headaches should make treatment their top priority.

What are the ancillary benefits of your treatment?

Our treatment is approved for decontamination for red bag rooms, biohazards, blood, feces, linens, and needles used in the medical industry and hospitals. It effectively kills Mersa as well as aerobic (with air) and anaerobic (without air) contaminants. Given this power, your home or workplace is more than covered.